So you have read the letters on this website, maybe know a fellow animator who has contributed a letter, and have decided to contribute one of your own? That’s great! It’s people like yourself that are willing to share your story so that others can be encouraged and inspired that make this project possible. Below are some guidelines you can follow to help write your letter. Once it is written, you can either snail mail it to me, or scan the handwritten letter into your computer and email it to me. Super easy!
Deadline: April 19, 2015, in order to have your letter published in the upcoming book!
- Tell a personal story from your life that tells how you got to where you are now, living your dream.
- How did you get your break into the industry?
- What has been your most rewarding project you have worked on and what have you taken away from that experience?
- Have you gone through any hardships: emotionally, financially, or mentally while becoming an animator? How did you overcome it?
- Was becoming an animator a struggle for you?
- What gave you strength to keep pushing on and to not give up on your dreams?
- What is the biggest piece of advice that you could give aspiring animators?
- Please hand write your letter rather than type it, because it makes it much more personal and unique. If possible, please write it on studio stationary.
What you can write about is endless and totally up to you! It is YOUR letter and your story and you can tell it however you want to. No matter what you say, no matter how long or short, it will be sure to encourage and inspire someone.
If you want to mail your letter, please send it to Willie Downs, 7317 Amber Drive, Watauga, TX 76148.
If you would rather email your letter to Willie, then just send it to email@example.com. If you are going to email your letter, please scan it at a high resolution.
If only there had been something like this when I was growing up. The people I admired in this industry seemed untouchable. Not anymore, thanks to Willie and his Animator Letters Project. Willie has brought people, who’s dream it is to get into animation, so much closer to having that dream fulfilled. And thanks to all those professionals out there who have contributed to this project. You haven’t forgotten where you came from. I hope everyone in this industry contributes to this project. Thanks again Willie for giving this opportunity to our future talent.
-Dale L. Baer,
Supervising animator at Walt Disney Animation Studios